Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Restaurant Review - Hut's Hamburgers (Austin, TX)


For work, I recently had the unpleasant assignment of staying near the Market District in Austin, TX.  I instantly fell in love with this pleasingly hip, yet old fashioned town.  Perhaps it was the Southern hospitality mixed with a good dose tolerant modernism; but whatever the reason, it was the perfect blend.

On one of my evening walks to the neighborhood Fresh Market, a pleasing aroma filled my nostrils.  It was as if my nose was swimming in a pool of charred beef and bacon.  I couldn't pin it source, and so I wrote it off as a backyard cookout.


The next evening I was walking through the same neighborhood, and the smell hit again.  But unlike my previous encounter with this illusive redolence, I was lucky enough to pinpoint its origin.

It was coming from a classic art deco building festooned in neon lights, with a large sign proclaiming "Hut's Hamburgers."

Photo courtesy of Stephen Rushmore from Roadfood.com

As I would soon find out, the joint opened in 1939 and has been a local hotspot ever since. The well-worn exterior is like something from a period flick and the interior buzzes with good conversations and laughter from the well served patrons.

For my meal I ordered "Tuby's Tickler," a flat top grilled beef patty, topped with chili, jalapenos, and shredded cheese, and served with fries ($5.75-burger, $2.50-fries).  I found the jalapenos to be a little overpowering, but I'm not from Texas.  The burger was cooked to perfection with a charred exterior and a medium-rare center.  The fries were crispy and deliciously seasoned.  I would have liked to try their one of their shakes, but unfortunately I was stuffed.

Tuby's Tickler

This isn't a fancy joint, and while lacks in sophistication has plenty of panache (irony intended).  If you're ever in Austin, have a few minutes, and feel like a burger, then head to Hut's.  It may not be the "Shake Shack," but for a "Hut" it's pretty darn tasty!

Eat good food.  Drink good beer.  And above all, stay classy!

Hut's Hamburgers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!